Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Maus by Art Spiegelman


I found mouse to be a wonderful read both comic and first glance I thought it was going to take me forever to ready with both books being over 150 pages long. But the more I read the more I lost track of times this book truly sucks you in to not only to the story of Spiegelmans fathers events of being a Jew in Germany though world war II and being sent to Auschwitz but into Spiegelmans life in general. from his mother suicide to the way his father who hordes found thing and will not pay for anything and how Spiegel man and his wife and mother in law have to deal with him and there own personal trouble. It gives the stories a real personal and raw emotion that you don’t get from stories about the holocaust a full look at everything from the past to the present.
            What really gave this narrative a very great edge was he didn’t use people besides for when he shows a comic about dealing with his mother’s suicide, which added a nice touch to the book and helped connect things and show his true feeling of this mothers death. But I love the choice of using cats as the Nazis, mice as the Jews and pigs as everyone else which helped I think me engage with the story though it was about his father I could put myself in his shoes and I liked his choice of rats for this time period because rats are thought to be dirty things that need to be killed. and that’s how Nazis thought of the Jewish people and in turn Nazis being cats who are know to kill mice and even play with them as they are dyeing before they eat them. And everyone else as pigs, which are just, know as eating anything and not caring. I really enjoyed when they where sneaking out to get food or to find knew shelter to hid to not be sent to a death camp speigelman used pig mask on Anaje and his fathers characters which I thought was great and added and really let you know they where in hiding. I really enjoyed this book and though I thought it was going to be a long read I read it pretty fast because I was so invested in these narratives they where like reading a movie yet you could truly put yourself in them better then any book or movie you could ever see because the visuals really help put this story to a whole nether leave that I don’t think any other medium would do this story justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment